Friday, January 25, 2013

This is NOT an "alien craft"

obvious camera effect and not an "alien craft"

There is a report of a "UFO" seen above the inauguration event on Monday of this week. There is a youtube video and an on-line article at UFO Sightings Daily.

Here is a quote from the article:
During President Obama's 2013 Inaugural speech yesterday...an alien ship appeared near the top of the Washington Monument. The bluish-green craft was caught when Fox News was panning in and out at the end of a broadcast.
In my opinion what is seen is nothing more than a lens effect created within the camera. The two windows at the top of the Washington Monument are lit from the inside and the alleged "craft" is basically two dots that very closely match the proportions of the windows. I added brackets in the image above as a way to measure the images, the brackets are all the same size. You can click on the image above for a hi-rez view.

I feel strongly that what is seem is an refraction an auto-exposure effect. Watching the video you can see the

The two lights within the monument and seem to be pulsing slightly, this pulsing matches the distorted shape of the "ufo" in a way that tells me I am seeing some sort of lens refraction.
  • modern video cameras are very sensitive in low light and weird effects are normal when shooting a mostly dark frame with some tiny bright lights.
  • the camera is slowly moving at similar rate the "craft" is moving
  • the pulsing effect from the window matches the glow of the craft
  • the orientation of the two windows closely matches the orientation of the two dots
This, to me, is not an "alien ship" as the article states. I am by no means an expert at photographic analysis, but I know just enough to dismiss this claims of this article. It is a disservice to what I feel is a very real phenomenon.

image from UFO sightings Daily
______________________________________________________

5 comments:

Red Pill Junkie said...

Good application of plain common sense, Mike.

Mike Clelland! said...

I wish I didn't have to post this.

Meghan M said...

I am intrigued why you wish you didn't have to post this. How come?

Mike Clelland! said...

I wish i didn't have to post this because I would have hoped that anyone seeing the video would have come to the same conclusion I came to.

I just think that this is a non-event, and there should have been no reporting of this. Or, if it was reported, I would have preferred that their text included words like "perhaps" or "maybe" while speculating.

Trish said...

Silly.