Thursday, December 4, 2014

do you see an owl?

The source book for loads of Disney weirdness
Do you see an owl in the book cover above? I am at the point where I am seeing owls everywhere, and I fully realize that my frenetic obsessive examination is causing this, owls emerging out of the ether.

Grimm's Fairy Tales was first published in 1812 by the German Grimm brothers, Jacob and Wilhelm. These stories include Little Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel, Rapunzel, Cinderella and Snow White.

I saw a small low resolution image of the book (left), and to me it was clearly a stylized owl. It is so obvious in the tiny jPeg that I have to wonder if the artist from way-back-when was trying to create an owl for the cover. This tiny image was posted so small that you could just barely make out the title. I noted the little icon in a Secret Sun blog post from 2012, where Christopher Knowles points out the similarities of his own script idea and the 2011 movie Hanna. Both are an updated version of Snow White. The blog post is linked HERE.

Also, I noticed this foggy owl image on the Secret Sun just moments after sending an email to a researcher in Germany, the source of these stories. After that I had the thought "I wonder if there is a new post on Secret Sun?" When I clicked on it, I realized it had been posted less than two minutes earlier.

In the 1812 edition of the book there is an exceedingly strange story simply titled The Owl. It's short and worth reading (available as a PDF file HERE). Basically, a honed owl is portrayed as a terrible monster, striking paralyzing fear even to the bravest men in the town. A simplistic example of the owl as something horrible in folklore.

excerpt from The Owl
By some mischance one of the great owls, called horned owls, had come from the neighboring woods into the barn of one of the townsfolk in the night-time...

In the morning when the manservant went into the barn to fetch some straw, he was so mightily alarmed at the sight of the owl sitting there in a corner, that he ran away and announced to his master that a monster, the like of which he had never set eyes on in his life, and which could devour a man without the slightest difficulty, was sitting in the barn, rolling its eyes about in its head.
_____________________________________________________

beautiful design by Talwin Morris

Text added January 4th 2015
I just got a helpful message from a reader (C.M. Mayo) who pointed out that there is also an old edition of Little Women with the same cover. To me, this means that the cover for the Grimm's book was just some template used by some long ago publisher and NOT any kind of owl reference related to the story within the book.

This Art Neuvo cover was created by book designer Talwin Morris for a series known as Blackie Books out of Glasgow Scotland.
_____________________________________________________

6 comments:

Vicnaustin said...

Keep up the good work, Mike! I'm looking forward to your upcoming book. Your sincerity and authenticity along this journey have been inspiring. Sometime I need to share with both you and Chris Knowles how back in 2008 or 9, I noticed that the quality of sunlight seemed odd. The light just didn't look right. Or rather, it looked too right, or too golden. I had a nagging feeling that there was a hidden sun. You can imagine what I found when I searched "hidden sun" and " second sun." Luckily, I wasn't too distracted by the nibiru gibberish. (Although, that was the first time I had heard any of it.) I found the Secret Sun and Hidden Experience and despite having no idea what's up with the sun, my journey has been enriched by you both. Thank you and let the syncs continue. (PS- maybe it's time for another Chris Knowles podcast. Love hearing both of your ideas and ruminations.)

Red Pill Junkie said...

PareidOWLia :P

C.M. Mayo said...

How preculiar. I just came across what looks like the same image on a Morris cover of LITTLE WOMEN (!)

C.M. Mayo said...

Oops, typo. I meant to say peculiar.

Mike Clelland! said...

Very curious! I just found the Morris cover of LITTLE WOMEN! It must be a "template" for some old publisher runs!

Elvee Kaye said...

Sorry, but...I don't see it. Took my glasses off, looked at it from a distance, crossed my eyes, still no owl. Can someone draw it in for me?